Thursday 1 February 2007

It's the End of the Week as I know it (and I feel fine)

Tomorrow P and I are going to Stratford on Avon for the weekend to see a few more Shakespeare plays. It is coming to the end of the Complete Works Festival, and we have 9 more to go: Henry V in Italian tomorrow, and then The Merry Wives of Windsor (The Musical) with Judy Dench Saturday afternoon and Richard III in the evening. By the end of the festival we will have seen all 37. It's been a really fascinating thing to do, and has made me realise how much I miss being involved in the theatre and in art and literature and generally being creative... I really do need to get myself out of the job I do and back
into something a little less soul-destroying.

This job does, however, let me work at home and this has proven to be a bonus for attempting CRON this month; on the downside it does mean I can spend far too much time planning and measuring and preparing the next meal. I just had to stop myself from playing around with my zucchini slices on my digital scale to get them to 100g exactly. (It's a zucchini, Sara: it has no calories!) But I am such a perfectionist for round numbers. :-)

The nice round number on the scales this morning was 118lbs, incidentally. Which was nice.

Inspired by Miss M, I made a variation on Nicoise salad for lunch: cherry tomatoes, green beans, cannellini beans (craving them), egg whites, and black olives on spinach leaves dressed with lemon and flax oil.

Dinner tonight, which was so good(!), was mushrooms and leeks cooked in red wine with garlic and thyme and pieces of quorn sausage (they really do smell just like real sausages cooking, I had forgotten!), topped with celeriac mash with 1 tsp mustard. Steamed broccoli and the aforementioned zucchini on the side, and a glass of Rioja for dessert.

In fact, it was so good, I might put the recipe into CoM and see if nutrionally it's worth sharing. For taste alone it was heaven. And I still have my rioja and a good book and maybe a DVD to go! *happy Sara*

Cooked mushrooms appear to have lots of Vitamin D. How strange! Cos they sure don't when they are raw. Is CoM being weird to me again, or some strange natural alchemy?

Without the Rioja, today's report from CoM...

===========================================
Nutrition Summary for 01 February 2007
===========================================

General (73%)
===========================================
Energy | 1048.6 kcal 87%
Protein | 58.1 g 83%
Fat | 25.3 g 39%
Carbs | 168.6 g 70%
Fiber | 47.1 g 188%
Water | 1574.5 g 58%

Vitamins (93%)
===========================================
Vitamin A | 59663.6 IU 2557%
Folate | 667.2 mcg 167%
B1 (Thiamine) | 1.2 mg 109%
B2 (Riboflavin) | 2.6 mg 234%
B3 (Niacin) | 18.8 mg 134%
B5 (Pantothenic Acid)| 9.1 mg 183%
B6 (Pyridoxine) | 2.3 mg 174%
B12 (Cyanocobalamin) | 1.0 mcg 44%
Vitamin C | 306.2 mg 408%
Vitamin D | 141.9 IU 71%
Vitamin E | 15.1 mg 100%
Vitamin K | 818.3 mcg 909%

Minerals (96%)
===========================================
Calcium | 715.3 mg 72%
Copper | 2.4 mg 272%
Iron | 18.1 mg 101%
Magnesium | 487.1 mg 152%
Manganese | 6.5 mg 359%
Phosphorus | 1252.2 mg 179%
Potassium | 5193.9 mg 111%
Selenium | 107.5 mcg 195%
Sodium | 1323.6 mg 88%
Zinc | 10.8 mg 135%

Amino Acids
===========================================

Lipids (41%)
===========================================
Saturated | 2.9 g 14%
Omega-3 | 3.3 g 303%
Omega-6 | 5.8 g 48%
Cholesterol | 2.0 g 1%

4 comments:

Robin said...

God, I am *so* jealous! What I would give to see all those plays...and Judy Dench!

HkGrace said...

Hmmm, when I put in raw mushrooms (generic) into COM I get lots of vitamin D. I hope it's true because I've been eating quite a few raw 'shrooms for that purpose. Well, and I like 'em besides. Have a great weekend!

Emi at Project Swatch said...

Hi Sara, you left a comment on my blog about being suprised it was so easy to get 70% nutrition. I highly suggest playing around with your software and vast amounts of leafy greens, along with some mushrooms. Start with 250-450g of spinach/chard/kale/collards (collard greens in the US are spring greens in Britain, as far as I can tell.) Add in about 150-350g of mushrooms. Add some seeds and nuts - pumpkin, sesame, and sunflower seeds are very nutritious, as are almonds - and it's SO easy to get to 100% in everything in less than 1000 calories.

However, it seems to me that you might not be eating enough - 1050 is VERY low, lower even than April, and I think you're a lot taller than she is. I don't want you to hurt yourself eating too little.

Anonymous said...

Your dinner sounds *so* good! I think I'll have to go out and buy leeks and wine, and make the same thing (except for I can't get quorn where I live).

118 lbs- you're losing weight fast, but I don't remember how long ago you wrote that you were 122.. But I guess weight does fluctuate quite a bit. I know that some days I can fluctuate 2 or 3 lbs over a day (water retention, undigested food, or whatever).