Thursday 11 December 2008

The Hunger

I don't know what is up with me lately; whether it is the cold weather, or the stress that I've been under / am under / feel all around me when I see my friends suffering and am unable to help... but my appetite has become voracious. And this really annoys me. I hate feeling hungry (if hungry is what it is); it hurts, it makes me snappy and bad-tempered, edgy, unable to settle, nervy - frankly more mad than usual. And no matter what I do, I don't seem to be able to get rid of the feeling. I feel as though I am eating all the time. Just, grrr!

I am irritated that I cannot download the version of java onto this machine that I would need to run CoM again. If I was tracking the calories or nutrition in what I am eating, it might explain why I am hungry, or feel so desparately unsatisfied all the time, even after a meal. Maybe I've got my protein too low, my carbs too high - I'm almost certainly not having enough good fats. I've been eating fruit and adding agave nectar to my yoghurt; maybe that's it. The last thing I need is to be coming up to these few weeks of parties and dinners and feel as out of balance as I do.

Today I've eaten:
55g oatmeal (I weighed that!) made with water
10 almonds
fat-free cottage cheese (let's say 100-125g) mixed with pumpkin seeds and flax seeds
2 bowls of homemade veggie soup (mostly carrot, 1 leek, 2 sweet potatoes, 2 onions, garlic, water - it made those 2 bowls plus 3 .75l containers as leftovers)
2 apples
c.175-200g fat-free yoghurt with a tablespoon of museli and some agave nectar
carrot sticks (say 150g or so)
c.75-100g smoked tofu

Dinner is going to be broccoli, zucchini, and leek, possibly some peas. Can you tell I'm trying to finish up the contents of the fridge? :-)

I don't think I've forgotten anything... Written down it doesn't look all that much - but I just can't tell any more.

Thoughts? Suggestions? (Nice ones please; I'm fragile.. :-) )

10 comments:

Emi at Project Swatch said...

I ran that through CoM, it's about 900 calories, 50g protein, 25g fat. obviously it's a very rough estimate. 900 is pretty low. have you lost weight?

too-low calories would definitely explain the hunger.

Sara said...

Thanks... No weight loss; if anything I'm up a couple of pounds.

Cave Cooking said...

I would definitely say more protein and more fat. You could easily go up to 90-100 grams of protein at your height, and both protein and fat are more satiating. Perhaps more nuts and fat free cottage cheese? Is your yogurt greek yogurt? I sympathize, feeling hungry makes me an unpleasant person to be around (just ask my SO if he crosses me before breakfast!).

Sara said...

My yoghurt was the Total / Fage 0% but recently I've been eating cheaper brands with less protein - strike 1 there. I used to add LLBY too - strike 2(?). When I had CoM I was hitting about 70-90g protein daily - I doubt I do that now; it took a lot of effort because my default mode of eating is to go simply for plain steamed veggies and leaves. But that's not working, so yes - back to the cottage cheese and the almonds for a bit and see what happens. Something's got to give! Cheers. :-)

Arturo said...

hi Sara,
happy upcoming holidays,
hugs
Arturo

April said...

Sara,

My guess is you're pregnant.

a

April said...

Just to clarify,

That doesn't seem like all that much food to me. But as the best girlfriend of a pregnant girl, now in her sixth month, being unusually hungry is often the first clue. If you feel like you're hungry and you want more food than is normal for you... just something to think about.

a

Sara said...

A, LOL! Not a chance, seriously! :-)

Linda said...

Even when I am at my most careful in monitoring intake I have days when I am unaccountably hungrier than usual and days when I hardly feel hungry at all. My theory is that it may be due to burning extra calories either from additional activity or because of external temperature variations.

Robin said...

Sara,

Have you started taking any new meds? I went back on the Pill recently, and I've noticed a big change in my appetite. Just a thought.

R