Friday 3 August 2007

Gastro-p0rn

I still don't feel as though I have my CRON-groove back. Not that I am eating badly in any way at all, still lots and lots of veggies and green leafies and fruit and nuts and seeds and low-fat dairy, the usual Sara foods, but something feels a little off. I don't know what it is. Perhaps that I haven't really had a full week of measured CRON for a while now. Hmm.

After a rare flurry of activity at work the last couple of days (Fix this production problem Sara! On a system you've never seen before! Without the software you need to do it! Now!), it's all gone quiet in the office again so I've been spending some time browsing around blogs... mostly foodie blogs. It's fascinating how many interconnecting virtual communities there are - from CRON to raw to vegan to just pure gastronomic musings. And oh, the photos! Beautifully plated and presented meals; glossy veggies; such enthusiasm and passion for good food... Perhaps that's something I need to work on again, making my meals look attractive to me, rather than eating my spinach out of the bag or hastily shaken up in a tupperware. :-)

It's an incredibly gorgeous day today in London, so P and I are going to have a picnic before we get our train back home later on this evening. I'll be going to WholeFoods after work and bankrupting myself. I've already done a couple of reconnaisance trips while getting my morning pear-apple-cucumber-kiwi-spinach smoothie and my lunchtime salad... So I think I will be buying large tomatoes on the vine, flat peaches, buffalo mozzarella, good bread, salad leaves, grilled peppers, maybe some grilled artichokes, olives... The foodie p0rn on the various blogs I've been browsing has seeped into my head; I want a simple mediterranean-type feast in the evening sunshine... and leaves, leaves, leaves...

6 comments:

Robin said...

Sounds fantastic!
Hope you had a great meal.
R

Schatze said...

Hello again Sara! I've started a new blog, if you have a chance to check it out.

JD said...

I know what you mean about food blogs! I've been doing the exact same thing this weekend and have about 30 great feeds in my google reader. The vegetable posts and photos are so inspiring and I've mentally adapted a few recipes for CRON purposes.

So what are your favourite foodie blogs?

Arturo said...

Hi Sarah
Could I make a suggestion, because it seems to be working for me? After spending ocassionally about $115 every week at Whole Foods, I decided to CRONize my shopping. So for just $3.25 I bought a calculator at Walgreens and now keep it in the backpack I take when shopping at Whole Foods. I weigh everything and enter every amount spent. I've decided to stay within $85 for groceries, and that if it goes over because of supplements, that will be okay. It has helped me make good decisions. Coconut flavoring, for example, around here is twice as expensive as in the tropics, so I opt for vanilla or orange flavoring, which is half the cost. I would not have noticed if I wasn't calculating. Now the employees at Whole Foods are on my side - they like shopping there also but know they have to be careful. They wink at me. With my calculator I noticed today that the Whole Foods brand of garbanzos was half the price of the other brand they carried. After I put away the expensive brand and grabbed the Whole Foods brand, I heard an intelligent European man tell his wife, "put that down, it's too expensive". My bill, including supplements, was exactly $75 today. Cheers, Arturo
PS Thanks for the funny post. There are indeed a lot of food p0rn sites out there.

ahh_diddums said...

hey im a regular reader of your blog and was just wondering if you might recommend some good food scales to me? i'm just a poor college student so im trying to find one that is accurate but not too too expensive. thanks!

Sara said...

I just looked on Amazon and have bought the ones that looked most reasonable in cost; I've bought Salter before (the batteries ran out quite quickly, actually) and currently use Skytronic. They are accurate to the gram, which is good enough for me right now. I didn't pay any more than fifteen pounds, as I recall.